Keeping your skin healthy and vibrant is both our passion and privilege at The Refinery. We’re happy to share that the majority of skin maladies can be corrected by simple changes in your skin care routine. Three simple steps to address many common skin issues are: 1) proper cleansing, 2) proper moisturizing and skin care products, and 3) proper sun protection. Most of us are cleansing our skin incorrectly, using the wrong skin care products and not utilizing the proper sun protection, if any at all. Our skin care experts can help you evaluate your current skin care routine and make recommendations for improving your skin concerns.
Along with these three steps, a healthy diet and lifestyle can contribute to maintaining beautiful skin throughout your lifetime. Many internal health concerns can also affect your skin health. Our mission at The Refinery is to work with each individual client to provide education, encouragement and the latest therapies and techniques to help you achieve healthy, refined skin.
Common Skin Concerns and Solutions
Skin—our body’s largest organ—can sometimes be a challenge to maintain. Even when we do everything right, our skin can seem to have a mind of its own, acting out with pesky irritations and problems from blemishes to rashes. Fortunately, we have solutions for healthy-looking, vibrant skin.
To help make your life easier, we’ve made a list of common skin concerns and their effective solutions:
Age spots, freckles, redness and wrinkles—oh my! Sun damage is the main culprit for these common skin maladies. With Florida’s outdoor lifestyle, sun damage is all too common, affecting your appearance and self-image. Proper sun protection with a barrier sun block that blocks the UVA (aging rays) and UVB (burning rays) is the single most effective treatment for preventing many of the skin issues associated with aging. The skin we have in our 40s is the skin we damaged in our early youth combined with the natural aging process. Around age 20, your skin’s production of collagen begins a slow and steady decline, decreasing 1 to 2 percent each year. Loss of collagen results in thinner, more fragile skin that is prone to sagging and wrinkles. In addition, excessive sun exposure with or without a sunburn (over exposure to UVB the burning rays) can lead to uneven skin tone and pigmentation issues. Improper skin care regimens, smoking and a poor diet can also leave the skin dehydrated and dull.
You have more control than you know! Seasonal skin-renewing treatments can reverse sun damage and stimulate new collagen and elastin production.
• IPL Photofacials are non-invasive light treatments with little to no downtime that help remove age spots, pigmentation concerns and areas where broken blood vessels can cause an appearance of red irritation.
• Microneedling creates micro channels or holes in skin to stimulate the skin’s natural healing response. During the healing phase of microneedling, the skin remodels itself to rebuild collagen, remove pigmentation irregularities and reduce scarring. This healing/remodeling process leads to an overall improved appearance with reduced pigmentation irregularities, acne scars, fine lines and wrinkles, dullness and other signs of sun damage.
• HydraFacial MD® is a 3-step skin treatment that exfoliates, extracts and infuses skin with hydrating nutrients to dramatically improve skin tone and texture to reveal brighter, radiant skin with no downtime.
While this common skin problem is most prevalent among teenagers, some people suffer with acne into adulthood, and others deal with acne later in life. The latter, referred to as adult-onset acne, commonly afflicts women around the time of menopause. Regardless of the onset, there are three main factors that contribute to annoying blackheads, bumps and pimples: excess oil production caused by excess androgen hormone activity, hair follicles and sebaceous glands that clog up with oil and dead skin cells, and the P. Acnes bacteria. Acne can plague the face, chest, back and other areas of the body. Regardless of the area of concern, The Refinery has the latest therapies and technologies to help you control your acne problems.
Client education and a proper at-home skin care regimen are key when battling acne. Most of us are over exfoliating and over drying our skin, which can lead to a vicious cycle of excessive oil production. Our team of licensed estheticians will work with you to design the best acne treatment plan for your needs. However, proper at-home care may not be enough. Monthly corrective facials can help to kick start and maintain the fight against acne.
• The Corrective Acne Facial is designed to clear clogged pores, reduce flare-ups, hydrate and soothe your skin to calm the inflammation of acne and restore balance.
• HydraFacial MD helps to dramatically control acne breakouts through gentle exfoliation and vortex technology. A HydraFacial MD treatment will provide intense skin purification while simultaneously replenishing hydration and breaking the vicious cycle of over drying your skin. Once the acne cycle is under control, The Refinery also provides additional therapies to manage acne scarring.
• Microneedling helps to reduce the appearance of acne scars and uneven pigmentation by creating micro channels (holes) in the skin. As your skin heals these micro channels, your skin is remodeled, leading to a reduction in acne scarring and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
• IPL Photofacials are non-invasive light treatments that aid in reducing acne scarring, revealing clearer, brighter skin with little to no downtime.
REDNESS, SENSITIVE SKIN, BROKEN CAPILLARIES AND ROSACEA
Heredity plays a big role with rosacea and sensitive skin issues, but sun exposure is also a key contributor to this stubborn and surprisingly common skin concern. In addition, how you clean your face, the temperature of water used for cleansing, and your diet can greatly affect these skin problems.
Proper skin care is key to managing these skin concerns, and often starts with proper cleansing. Our team of estheticians and skin care clinicians are dedicated to working with you to customize a treatment plan for at-home skin care while offering the latest in treatments and technologies to combat these skin maladies.
• Custom Facials specifically designed for sensitive, rosacea-prone skin will provide you with the latest, most effective skin care products and therapies to calm, cool and soothe your skin.
• HydraFacial MD with unique vortex technology and serums has a newly-released redness and anti-inflammatory protocol to calm and soothe the skin with anti-inflammatory agents while simultaneously restoring hydration.
• IPL Photofacials penetrate skin with bright light to reduce redness from deep within and calm skin with little to no downtime.
• Diet also plays a role. You can reduce redness by avoiding inflammatory foods, hot spices, alcohol, hot beverages, excessive sugars and starch. Your licenses esthetician will review your diet to see where adjustments can be made.